2/11/14

Lunch Dates

Greetings Ladies,

The more we talk, the more I am convinced that we are too busy. Our days are packed with events and commitments that we are constantly seeking ways to make time for self care. Repeatedly, I hear your cry for rest, solitude, and time to refresh the spirit. Most of us would enjoy a week long retreat with a nanny to care for home in our absence.

If you can schedule that, please do it as soon as you feel the need. For the rest of you, I offer a short easy way to care for yourself every day. If you do this one thing regularly you will be sure to keep yourself at the top of your priority list. Wives On Purpose know how important that is to me.

Here is my secret:
Make a lunch date with yourself and keep it. 


I know you are thinking: I am too busy. I eat lunch at my desk while I work. Others worry that co-workers will disrupt their time or perhaps you forget to take lunch at all. As my twelve year old daughter would say" Pish Posh!".

For most of you, lunch time during the work day is the only time you still have control over. It is the only time you can consistently plan for and give to yourself.

Since 1995, I have been keeping lunch dates with Lisa. During lunch I can eat foods that my family doesn't like. I shut off my phone to get away from gossip or idle chatter from friends and even family. I read books for pleasure and flip through magazines. Lunch time can be a long walk, grocery store errand, or time for a power nap.

If planned for, lunch time can be one of the most productive, and refreshing times of each day because you did what you wanted to do. For just and hour each day you were first on your list. Don't you deserve that? I think you do. Go ahead and make a date with yourself for lunch. Just remember the success comes when you actually keep it! 

Here are a few tips to get you started:
  • Plan to take lunch by marking the time as busy on your calendar.
  • Set an alarm on your phone with reminders with the time, date, and location.
  • Pick a spot. A nearby park, library, your car, and even a building lobby will work.
  • Treat yourself to food that you like. Even your favorite sandwich is a treat.
  • Guard the time as if you are meeting with your highest boss.
  • Don't cancel unless it's an emergency
I hope this helps you get much needed "me"time. If you still need help working on priorities, visit the lesson in Wife School.  You can purchase the study complete with lessons on CD here.

Now, I am off to grab my lunch and think about what is for DINNER! (that post is for another day)


Staying on Purpose
Lisa Ellis Williams

Want more? 

Subscribe to Lisa's List

You will get News Wives Can Use, Wife Talk calls, tips and resources to support your marriage

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Trena for sharing that you will be taking lunch TODAY! and to Lynette who said you were going to "take this good advice". Your comments are greatly appreciated and helpful for other readers. Keep then coming.!

    ReplyDelete